The mission of Safe Connections is to reduce the impact and incidence of relationship violence and sexual assault through education, crisis intervention, counseling and support services.
Safe Connections is proud to be one of the St. Louis region’s oldest and largest organizations working to prevent and end domestic and sexual violence while helping survivors reclaim their lives. Our services in prevention education, crisis intervention and counseling make a big difference for families and the health of our community.
Safe Connections has grown steadily since our inception in 1976 when we began as grassroots domestic violence crisis hotline. It quickly became clear that counseling services for victims of abuse were needed, so our first mental health therapists were hired. In 1988, responding to research and our own recognition that breaking the cycle of violence must include reaching youth, we developed and introduced Project HART (Healthy Alternatives for Relationships among Teens), a violence prevention curriculum, in schools across the metropolitan area.
Safe Connections is the only domestic violence/sexual assault counseling agency in St. Louis to be accredited by the Council on Accreditation, due to our best practice standards covering governance, human resources, financial management and program services. We are also a member of the Better Business Bureaus Wise Giving Alliance and maintain a top rating with the United Way of Greater St. Louis.
Most Recent Awards and Recognition
- Charity Navigator 4 Star Rating, earned in 2015 for meeting national accountability standards.
- Better Business Bureau TORCH Award, honoring business ethics and customer service. Awarded by Better Business Bureau St. Louis, September 2014
- Appreciation for Exemplary Support of Volunteers. Awarded by Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville, April 2014
- What’s Right With The Region! Honoree for Demonstrating Innovative Solutions. Awarded by FOCUS St. Louis, March 2014
- Leadership St. Louis, Safe Connections Executive Director Susan D. Kidder, class of 2013-14
- Certificate of Accreditation, for achieving the highest standards of professional practice for the services we provide. Bestowed by the Council on Accreditation, accredited through April 30, 2017
- Charity Awards Finalist. Presented by the Ladue News, 2009
Featured prominently in the Safe Connections logo, the lotus flower symbolizes purity and rebirth across many different cultures and religions. Lotus flowers are typically found in murky waters, growing from the mud and ultimately rising above the surface of the water as a beautiful bloom. This serves as a symbol for the work Safe Connections does to help survivors rebuild and reclaim their lives after abuse.
Safe Connections is a 501(c)(3). We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation or any other factor protected by law.